Saturday 20 June 2009

Power Consumption of Acer Aspire Revo

I did some quick tests on the power consumption of my Acer Aspire Revo R3600 which arrived yesterday.

Here are the specifications:-
  • 1.6GHz Intel Atom 230 CPU
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM
  • 160GB hard disk
  • Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics
  • HDMI, D-SUB out
  • eSATA
  • 6 x USB
  • 4-in-1 card reader
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 802.11bg WLAN
  • Linux
  • Size: 30mm x 180mm x 180mm
I've installed Windows 7 (more details in another post) and done a quick test of the power consumption. As I've read in reviews (but didn't quite believe!) the power draw hovers between 19 and 20 watts (this is idle - just displaying the Windows desktop after everything has finished loading).

I intend to stick another stick of 1GB RAM inside it, so maybe this will increase the power consumption slightly, buts its still pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I've just dropped a message on your previous blog, I hope you will get it, it's about QNAP NAS.

    For instance, do you feel 20 watts to be particularly low ?

    I use actually a Pentium-m laptop that just consuming 25 watts in normal operation (speed at 800 mhz), and I still have an old Dell Pentium I, that I have tuned to be solid state and Odb that is consuming as few as 9watts...

    Regards, Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrice,

    I guess it's all relative - I feel that 20 watts is pretty low considering what this machine will do. My QNAP was about 14W idle but wouldn't really run PHP and MySQL that well (especially if torrenting at the same time). Other old machines that I thought of running as a server were a P3 1Ghz (34W idle) and a P4 1.7Ghz (55W(!) idle). So I'm happy with 20W.

    ReplyDelete